Section 70N of the Weapons Regulation 1996 stipulates the requirement for crossbow clubs to keep a Range use Register. As a condition of the club’s approval a crossbow club conducting a range must:
- keep a Range use Register
- ensure the Register is available at all times when the range is being operated by the club
- view the person’s Weapons Licence if they are a licensee; and
- enter the details provided.
Before a person may discharge a weapon they must provide the following information to be entered in the Range use Register:
- if licensed produce their licence to the range officer and enter their name, licence number, club details (if a member) and category of weapon discharged; or
- if an unlicensed adult produce photographic identification and complete a Form 33 - Declaration by unauthorised persons for use of a weapon at an approved range and then complete their name, club membership (if any) and category of weapon to be used; and
- if an unlicensed minor their name, club details (if any) and category of weapon being used.
The range officer is required to inspect the entry and endorse its correctness in the Range use Register and on the Form 33 - Declaration by unauthorised persons for use of a weapon at an approved range.