Private Patrick J. Moynihan

9th Battalion A.I.F

Killed in Action: 25 April 1915

MOYNIHAN Patrick PM0111a.jpg

Fortitude Valley Police Station

Constable Patrick James Moynihan was born in Allora and worked on the railways at Wallangarra before joining the Queensland Police. Private Moynihan gained a leave of absence and embarked aboard the HMAT Themistocles A32 on 22 December 1914 as part of the 9th Infantry Battalion.  He served with the rest of his battalion in Egypt before being ordered to Gallipoli. The 9th Battalion as part of the 3rd Brigade was part of the covering force that was first to land at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915.

According to field reports Moynihan along with others advanced too far and was shot in the head and killed during the retreat that followed. Moynihan's body was never recovered; he is believed to have been buried by the Turkish. He was 26 years of age.

Private David C. Bourke

15th Battalion A.I.F

Died of Wounds: 2 May 1915

BOURKE David OCT24P22.jpg

South Brisbane Police Station

Constable David Bourke immigrated to Australia after serving five years in the Royal Irish Constabulary. He Joined the Queensland Police on the 11 of February 1914.  On the 13 of January 1915, Bourke, Hughes, Johnson and Mulvie, whose names all appear on this list, joined the 15th Battalion – It is understood that these men were friends as they all came from the same town in Ireland. Private Bourke embarked aboard HMAT Seang Bee A48 on 12 February in 1915, he was 26 years old.

While the 15th Battalion landed and fought at the Gallipoli landing on 25 April, but it is not known when or where Bourke sustained the injuries of which he later died. The wounds were to his left arm and may have occurred anytime from 27 to 30 of April.  Bourke was admitted to the Government Hospital Alexandria on the 1 May 1915, but his wounds were already septic and he died the following day.

Corporal William J. Hughes

15th Batalion A.I.F

Killed in Action: 3 May 1915

Photo - Hughes, WH clean.jpg

West End Police Station

Constable William Hughes was a veteran Police officer with 9 years’ experience in Ireland before he joined the Queensland Police in April 1914. He was one of the four police officers, Bourke, Johnson and Mulvie, who all joined the 15th Battalion on 13 January 1915. Hughes embarked aboard HMAT Seang Bee A48 on 12 February 1915, he was 30 years old.

Hughes was killed in fierce action at or near the Garrison of Quinn’s Post at Gallipoli on 3 May 1915 however, his body was not located nor marked at burial.​​

Private John Johnston

15th Battalion A.I.F

Killed in Action: 7 May 1915


Roma Street Police Station

Constable John Johnston was one of the four officers, Bourke, Hughes and Mulvie who emigrated to Australian from Ireland in the early part of 1913, joined the Queensland Police in December 1914 and enlisted in the 15th Battalion in 1915. He embarked with the rest of his Battalion aboard the HMAT Seang Bee A48 on 12 February 1915; the convoy was bound for Egypt but was redirected to aid in the Gallipoli effort.

On 29 April 1915 Major Quinn and 226 members of the 15th Battalion relieved the position which would become known as Quinn’s post. This garrison was responsible for defending the area around Russell’s Top and was one of the most heavily fought over positions of the Anzac effort.  Johnson was killed, most likely in one of the daily charges at Quinn’s post on 7 May 1915. His body was initially buried in Monash Valley but later interred into the 4th Battalion Parade Ground Cemetery. At the time of his death he was 28 years old.

Private Robert N. Ritchie

25th Battalion A.I.F

Died on Active Service: 19 July 1915

RITCHIE Robert2.jpg

South Brisbane Police Station

After a short three week career as a Constable in the Queensland Police, Constable Robert Ritchie enlisted in the A.I.F on the 3 of April 1915. He embarked from Brisbane aboard the HMAT Aeneas A60 on the 29 of June 1915 as part of the 25th Infantry Battalion.  Conditions on the ships were cramped and the risk of illness was constant. 

Ritchie was one of the unlucky ones as he became seriously ill not long into the voyage.  His condition became critical and he died from cerebro-spinal meningitis and 10:40am on 19 July 1915. The convoy was halted and Ritchie was buried at sea with full military honours at the age of 23. Ritchie’s brother also served during the war

Lance Corporal Phillip C. Vowles

9th Battalion A.I.F

Died on Active Service: 2 October 1915


Woolloongabba Police Station

Constable Phillip Vowles was a deserter in the 61st Gloucestershire regiment in England before immigrating to Australia and joining the Queensland Police in 1912. He was stationed at Woolloongabba until he joined the 9th Battalion as soon as war was declared.  Lance Corporal Vowles embarked aboard the first convoy overseas the HMAT Omrah A5 to Egypt on 24 of September 1914. The 9th Battalion as part of the 3rd Brigade were part of the covering force to secure a beach head on Gallipoli and were the first to land at ANZAC Cove in April 1915.

At the end of July of 1915 sickness among the troops had become a serious concern.  Vowels succumbed to illness on 8 of September 1915 and he was admitted to the ANZAC hospital with Influenza. This developed into dysentery and pneumonia and he was transferred, first to Imbros and the in a serious condition to Netley Military Hospital in England. On 2 of October, at the age of 29, Phillip Vowles died from Pneumonia and was buried at Netley Military Cemetery.

Lance Corporal Eugene Nugent

25th Battalion A.I.F

Killed in Action: 15 October 1915

NUGENT Eugene KIA.jpg

Toogooloowah Police Station

At the age of 21 Constable Eugene Nugent joined the Queensland Police and was sworn in as a constable on the 10 of March 1915. Nugent embarked aboard the HMAT Shrophire A9 from Sydney as part of the 25th Infantry Battalion on the 20 of August 1915. 

He was promoted to Lance Corporal during training and retained this rank on his arrival at Gallipoli. Lance Corporal Eugene Nugent was killed by a bomb fragment which struck him in the forehead on 15 of October 1915, just three days after he arrived at the front. He was 23 years of age.

Trooper John Christiansen

5th Light Horse Regiment A.I.F

Killed in Action: 22 November 1915


Beenleigh Police Station

Constable John Christiansen was a member of ‘C’ Squadron, 2nd Australian Light Horse for five years from the age of 16 until he joined the Queensland Police in 1914. After seven months he joined the 5th Light Horse Regiment and embarked on the 12 of June 1915 abroad the HMAT Karoola A63. Christiansen was appointed to the rank of Acting Sergeant during his training in Egypt but, as were the regulations at the time, he reverted to his rank of Trooper on arrival at Gallipoli.  The 5th LHR had gone to ANZAC Cove without horses in an unmounted role and were given the responsibility of the southern flank of the Australian position at Chatham’s Post. Trooper Christiansen arrived at this position of the 2 of October 1915. Christiansen was reported sick on the 9 of November and was admitted to the ANZAC hospital before returning to his unit a week after. He was killed in action, in unknown circumstances, at Chatham’s Post on the 22 of November 1915 at the age of 22.