​Lance Corporal John Warfield

47th Battalion A.I.F

Killed in Action: 28 March 1918

WARFIELD John (2).png

Maryborough Police Station

Constable John Warfield, of Allora Queensland, joined the Queensland Police on the 11 January 1912. He was just 18 years old. After three years, he joined the A.I.F on the 12 of October 1915. Three of his brothers joined at the same time; all three Harry, Herbert (Distinguished Conduct Medal), and Sidney would all survive the war.  Warfield embarked with his three brothers from Brisbane aboard the HMAT Kyarra A55 on the 3 of January 1916 as part of the 15th Infantry Battalion. Upon his arrival in Egypt he was reallocated to the 47th Infantry Battalion and went into action at Pozieres on the 1st of July 1916.

Warfield was seriously wounded on the 6 of August receiving multiple gunshot wounds to the back, buttocks and left thigh. He was evacuated to England and was not fit for duty until the 21 of June 1917, some nine months later. Upon his return to his Battalion he was promoted to Lance Corporal. Warfield was killed during the attack on Dernancourt, France on the 28th of March 1918, he was 24.

Sergeant John 'Jack' Fitzgerald

9th Field Artilliary Brigade & 108th Battery A.I.F

Killed in Action: 30 March 1918

FITZGERALD JOhn.png Duchess Police Station

Constable John Fitzgerald, who preferred to be known as Jack, joined the Queensland Police in April of 1915. A proficient horseman he was stationed in Selwyn, a frontier mining town south of Cloncurry, and then at Duchess until he enlisted in early 1916. Gunner Fitzgerald embarked from Sydney aboard the HMAT Argyllshire A8 on the 11 of May 1916. He was initially posted to the 7th Depot Battalion but was then reposted to the 36th Battery, 9th Field Artillery Brigade and later to the 108th Battery. 

Fitzgerald and his Battalion were posted to the front on New Year’s Eve in 1916/17. Fitzgerald’s unit was heavily involved in the combats of Messines Ridge and the 3rd Battle of Ypres. In 1918 Fitzgerald was promoted to Sergeant. Sergeant Fitzgerald, of the 108th Battery, aged 25 years was killed at dawn on the 30 of March 1918, at Sailly-le Sec when an enemy shell landed a few yards away of his position- he was killed instantly.

Sergeant Harry Wells

26th Battalion A.I.F

Killed in ACtion: 31 March 1918

 WELLS harry crop.png

Roma Street Police Station

Constable Harry Wells was a Police officer with the Kent Country Constabulary for five years at Dartford and Swanby Stations before he moved to Australia. He was 28 years old when he was sworn in as a constable in March of 1914. Wells joined the A.I.F on the 19th of April 1915 and was allocated to ‘B’ Company of the 26th Battalion as a Sergeant.

Sergeant Wells embarked aboard the HMAT Ascanius A11 from Brisbane on the 24 of May 1915 as part of the 26th Infantry Battalion. During the Battle of Pozieres on the 28 of July 1916, Sgt Wells was seriously wounded in the abdomen during the attack and evacuated to England. He returned on the 29 of December 1916. On the 31 of March 1918, Sergeant Wells was killed in action at the age of 33 at Ploegsteert Wood, Flanders.

Sergeant Walter W. Dumbrell

41st Battalion A.I.F

Killed in Action: 19 April 1918


Many Peaks Police Station

When the Boer War broke out Constable Walter Dumbrell was 17 years old. Because of his age, he required his father’s permission to enlist – when it was not given he paid his own passage to Capetown where he represented himself as 21 and joined the 5th Contingent of the Queensland Imperial Bushman. He served until the end of the conflict in 1901. Dumbrell joined the Queensland Police in May of 1910. Despite being married with an infant son, Dumbrell joined the A.I.F in September of 1915. Dumbrell embarked from Sydney aboard the HMAT Demosthenes A64 as part of the 41st Infantry Battalion on 18 of May 1916.

Over the course of a year and a half the 41st Battalion was engaged at Armentieres and Ploegsteert Wood. Here Dumbrell was affected badly by gas and had to be carried out of the line, shortly after in 1917 Dumbrell was promoted to Sergeant.  On the afternoon of the 19th of April 1918, Sergeant Dumbrell, 33, was killed by shellfire in the trenches north of the Bray-Corbie Road. His death was instantaneous and he was buried near-by in a marked grave. In 1920, his remains were re-interred into the Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery.

Sergeant Frederick A. White

25th Battalion A.I.F

Killed in Action: 10th June 1918

WHITE Frederick.png 

Gladstone Police Station

Constable Frederick White, known affectionately as Fred, joined the Queensland Police in 1909 and served as a Constable at Mungindi and Gladstone before joining the 25th Battalion A.I.F in September 1915. Although he spent 7 years in the Australian Light Horse and Mounted Infantry, he joined the Infantry Battalion to serve with his half-brother Albert, who had joined with him. The White brothers embarked for England where they trained on the Salisbury Plain before going into action in France. Frederick White was wounded in action near Flers on 14 November 1916, receiving gunshot wounds to the right ankle. He would be wounded again four months later – this time shrapnel wounds to the right shoulder. He returned to his Battalion in July of 1917 and just days before the major offensive of the Menin Road, he succumbed to Trench fever which required him to be hospitalized in England for six months.

While still suffering some periodic symptoms of trench fever, Sergeant White requested to return to active duty re-joining his battalion in France in March of 1918. At this time the Australian forces were moved to Belgium.  On 10 of June 1918, the 25th Battalion was involved in heavy fighting at Morlancourt. During this action both Fred and his brother Albert were killed on the same day. His family was told that after a successful advance, Albert had been wounded in the front of the captured position. Fred, aged 37, had crawled out under fire to bring his brother back and crawled into the trenches with Albert on his back. They were both machine-gunned and killed as they reached the parapet of the new trench. They are buried side by side a short distance apart in Beacon Cemetery near Sailley-Le-Sec.

Private David O'Donoghue

9th Battalion A.I.F

Died of Wounds: 20 June 1918

4th-Rising-Sun-1949-1956.png Maryborough Police Station

Constable David O’Donoghue joined the Queensland Police at the age of 21 in March of 1915. He joined the A.I.F on the 20 of April 1916. On his attestation papers, he states that he had previously spent three month in the A.I.F in the infantry and three months in the military police before being discharged for medical reasons. O’Donoghue was allocated as a signaller to the 9th Battalion. Private O’Donoghue embarked in Brisbane on HMAT Itonus A50 on the 8 August 1916 and arrived in England on the 18 of October. He reportedly ‘jumped ship’ in Fremantle to go to town – this cost him eight days detention.

O’Donoghue joined the 9th Battalion at the front on the 19 of June 1917 while they were re-equipping at Mailly Maillet after the attack at Bullecourt.  O’Donoghue died of wounds sustained in action west of Merris on the 20 of June 1918. His wounds were said to be to the chest and a fractured femur – he died at the dressing station shortly after being admitted.

Private Thomas McGillicuddy

12th Light Trench Mortar Battry A.I.F

Killed in Action: 8 July 1918


Bundaberg Police Station

Constable Thomas McGillycuddy emigrated from Ireland to Australia at the age of 21 and a year late joined the Queensland Police on 30 of September 1913. He embarked from Sydney aboard the HMAT Ayrshire A33 on the 1 of September 1915 as part of the 15th Infantry Battalion.  Private McGillycuddy saw action at Gallipoli from the 13 of November until the withdrawal in December. Following the withdrawal, the A.I.F was re-organised and McGillycuddy along with other members of the 15th were re-assigned to the 47th Battalion. The 47th saw their first action in 1916 at the Battle of Pozieres in France.

Private McGillycuddy was wounded on the 10 of August receiving wounds to his left hip, thigh and right foot. He was evacuated to England and did not return to his unit until the 4 of May 1917. During the Battle of Messines Ridge, June 1917, Private McGillycuddy was wounded for a second time, receiving gunshot wounds to the left arm. On his return the 47th had been disbanded due to the depletion men due to causalities. McGillycuddy was absorbed into the 45th Battalion and detached to the 12th Light Trench Mortar Battery. At the age of 26, during the Battle of Hamel, on the 8 of July 1918 the Germans retaliated with a heavy barrage of gas and explosive shells and Private McGillycuddy was killed.

Lance Corporal Claude E. Castree

49th Battalion A.I.F

Died of Wounds: 15 August 1918

 CASTREE Claude L30.png

Kynuna Police Station

Constable Claude Castree joined the Queensland Police in February of 1913. He served at Roma Street, Townsville and Kynuna before he enlisted in the A.I.F. Private Castree embarked aboard the HMAT Armadale A26 from Brisbane on the 18 of September 1915 with the 25th Infantry Battalion. The 25th Battalion arrived in France in March 1916. Castree was one of the early casualties being wounded in the left arm. He was evacuated to England and returned to action again on the 1 of November after being transferred to the 19th Battalion, in December of that year he was promoted to Lance Corporal.

During the attack on Messines Ridge, Castree was wounded a second time, this time a bullet to the left shoulder. He was again evacuated to England. He returned to the 49th on the 10 of July 1918 when they was moving south to block the advance of the Germans to the Somme. Lance Corporal Castree was wounded a third and final time, a gunshot wound to the abdomen on the 14 of August 1918 as the battalion was being withdrawn from Cerisy Gailly. He was evacuated to the 13th Australian Field Ambulance, but died from his wounds the following day. He was 26 years old.

Lance Corporal John Herbert

41st Battalion A.I.F

Died of Wounds: 9 September 1918


Petrie Terrace Police Depot

Constable John Herbert joined the Queensland Police at the age of 20 in February in 1908. He was stationed at Petrie and Woolloongabba for four years, Woodford for the three years and then back to Petrie for six months before joining the A.I.F. He was awarded the Police ‘Medal for Merit’ for stopping a horse and butchers’ cart, on 4 of March 1912, which had bolted. He was able to grab the reins of the horse (at great risk to himself) and stop the horse before anyone was hurt.

Private Herbert Embarked from Sydney on the 7 of February 1917, aboard the HMAT Wiltshire as part of the 31st Infantry Battalion. He was initially assignment to the 31st Battalion, with his two brothers but was sent as a reinforcement to the 41st Battalion on January 4 1918 as a Lance Corporal. On the 7th of September, the 41st attacked Roisel, in northern France and took heavy machine gun and artillery fire. Lance Corporal Herbert, 29, was wounded by shrapnel to the back and thorax during this attack. He died from his wounds, two days later on the 9 of September 1918. His two brothers survived the war.

Trooper Darryl J.G. Dodds

11th Light Horse Regiment A.I.F

Killed In Action: 25 September 1918


Dalby Police Station

Constable Darryl Dodds joined the Queensland Police at the age of 21, in March 1910. He served at Toowoomba and Dalby stations before joining the A.I.F on the 2nd of August 1915. He embarked from Sydney aboard the HMAT Mashobra A47 on the 4 of October 1915 bound for Egypt and upon arrival was posted to ‘A’ squadron of the 11th Light Horse Regiment at Heliopolis.

From 1916 – 1918 Dodds and the other men of 11th LHR made patrols into the desert and attacked Gaza, Beersheba and Sheria. During an attack on Semakh on the 25th September, the 11th Light Horse Regiment engaged in perhaps one of the last cavalry charges of the war with swords, Trooper Dodds, aged 28, and fourteen other men were killed.

Gunner Ernst R. Pastorelli

156th Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery

Died of Wounds: 12 October 1918


Nebo Police Station

Constable Ernet Pastorelli joined the Queensland Police in April of 1911, after 3 years in the Royal Artillery in England. He served four months at Roma Street before being transferred to Mackay where he spent 3 years. When war was declared, all British Military Reservists were directed to report of duty. Constable Pastorelli was relieved of duty in August of 1914 and reported to Victoria Barracks to return to England. Gunner Pastorelli was assignment to ‘A’ Battery of the 156th Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery which was a part of the 52nd (Lowland) Division.

The division landed at Cape Helles, Gallipoli in June 1915. They supported allied troops in action from Gully Ravine, Archi Baba and Krithia Nullah until evacuated in January 1916. The division was transferred to the Western Front in April of 1918. When the Germans broke through the Somme in March 1918, some artillery and personnel were captured – it is here that Gunner Pastorelli was captured and became a prisoner of War. He was reported to have died from exhaustion whilst a prisoner at Lagensala War Hospital Camp in Palestine just one month before hostilities ended. He is reported to have died on the 12 of October 1918 at the age of 33.

Driver John P. Taylor

38th Convoy Australian Army Service Corps A.I.F

Died of Wounds: 21 November 1918


Miles Police Station

Constable John Taylor was late to the Queensland Police at the age of 32 when he joined in 1909. He joined the Australian Field Artillery in 1917 and embarked to England. On arrival Taylor sustained an injury to his already injured back and was declared unfit for Artillery. He was assignment to the 38th Company as a driver; the AASC supported the Australian Mounted Division who were at the time fighting in Palestine.

About four weeks after hostilities ended in Palestine, John Taylor became ill with dysentery on the 31 of October. He was hospitalised when the war ended with the Armistice on the Western Front on the 11 of November. On the 14 of November, his condition deteriorated and he died a week later on the 21 of November 1918 in the 87th General Hospital at Alexandria. He was buried at the Hadra War Cemetery. He was survived by his widow Vera and young child. John Taylor was 41 years of age at the time of his death, the oldest and the last of the 30 Queensland Policemen to die in the First World War.