There are a number of risks that can face a business, these may include bomb or extortion threats and suspect items. It is important that staff know what to do when faced with these situations, and information on these topics can be found here:
- Suspicious Items
In case your business is threatened:
- Keep a copy of a Bomb Extortion Threat Checklist near your telephone (e.g. under your phone with a pencil handy to use).
- When you receive a bomb/extortion call, try to complete the check list while the caller is still on the line.
- Keep calm and don’t hang up the phone
- Ensure that staff understand the purpose of the form and how to fill it out
- Report threats to the police immediately.
What to look out for:
- Excessive or stained wrapping
- No return address
- Incorrect titles
- Mis-spelt common words
- Excessive postage
- Excessive weight
- Unexpected or unsolicited mail
- Markings such as ‘Confidential, Private’.
Do not touch, tilt or tamper with the item. Contact police immediately on triple zero (000). Explain what makes the package suspicious. Follow the instructions given to you by police.