Whether you are living here on a long term basis or just for a few weeks, to ensure your safety please consider the following advice:
- Whilst staying at any accommodation, secure your property.
- Always lock the door.
- When staying in accommodation, ask what security facilities, like safes, are provided by the establishment to store passports and other valuables.
- Make it difficult for bag-snatching thieves by using a money belt.
- Keep large amounts of cash and cheques separate.
- Avoid giving the impression that you are carrying a lot of money.
- Remember not to take all your money and valuables with you if you are partying or day trekking.
- Try not to advertise that you have purchased something from duty free outlets-place duty free bags out of sight.
- Leave valuables in a secure location when going to the beach or pool.
- Carry your shoulder bag at the front of your body.
- Mark or photograph your property for identification purposes.
- Keep a list of all serial numbers, model numbers and specific features of your property for identification purposes and insurance claims.
- Lock an unattended vehicle and secure any valuables, making sure they are out of sight or locked in the boot (trunk) or glove compartment.
Home and apartment security
For more information:
Property Safety: Queensland Police Service