Eligible non-profit entities holding low risk fundraising events and small regional shows can be exempt under the Liquor Act, and entitled to sell liquor without having a liquor licence or permit. These events can form an important aspect of a non-profit organisations fundraising program and well run, successful public events can provide a range of social, economic and cultural benefits to the community.

There are many things to consider when planning a non-profit fundraising event which involves alcohol.  The 'Non-profit fundraising events: alcohol, safety and event management planning guide' has been developed as a joint initiative of the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation and Queensland Police Service, to support event organisers in planning and managing a successful event. 

Register your event

Event Safe also allows event organisers to register their community fundraising events and small regional shows with police online through the QPS Event Safe Online Registration Form.

Registering your event with police provides police with the opportunity to supply you with some great information and resources on planning and running an enjoyable, safe and lawful event. It also ensures that police have vital information and contact details for your event and better able to respond if issues do arise. 

Try and register your event at least six (6) weeks before the event.  This timeframe will help police accommodate their rosters and will result in the best possible support.  That being said, it is never too late to register your event.  Police would rather know in advance that an event is going ahead, than having to respond to issues on the day. 

Alcohol and the law

The Queensland Government Liquor and gaming webpage provides further information about liquor licensing in Queensland, including an online Community liquor permit - exemption assessment to help you ascertain if your entity or organisation can sell liquor at a fundraising event without requiring a Community Liquor Permit.

Private parties

You do not need a liquor permit or Liquor Act exemption to hold a private party provided the liquor is supplied free of charge, there is no cover charge, you are not deriving a direct or indirect financial benefit and the liquor is not being supplied to gain or keep custom or other commercial advantage.

The Party Safe website provides information and ideas on planning a safe lawful and enjoyable private party for everyone concerned including parents, hosts and guests.

Always remember

In an emergency or life threatening situation call Triple Zero (000).