Urgent assistance required?
When to call Triple Zero (000)
- if a crime is happening now
- when a life is threatened
- when the event is time critical, e.g. incidents with severe blood loss.
Use Triple Zero (000) for emergency use only.
Every second counts during an emergency and time can mean the difference between life and death – that’s why it’s vital for people to use the Triple Zero (000) number properly.
What happens if you are speech or hearing impaired?
Triple Zero (000) can be accessed via the National Relay Service on 106.
What happens when you call Triple Zero (000)?
Stay focused, relevant, and on the line.
- When you dial Triple Zero (000), your call is connected to the Telstra Emergency Call Service centre
- Telstra operators will ask which service you require – Police (Queensland Police Service), Fire (Queensland Fire and Rescue Service) or Ambulance (Queensland Ambulance Service)
- You respond by advising the operator which of those services you require assistance from: Police? Fire? Ambulance?
- Your call will then be rapidly connected to the Emergency Service requested
- If you don't respond because you are unable to talk, your call will be forwarded to an automated system, where you will be asked to push ‘5 5’ on the telephone keypad if you still require assistance. Pushing ‘5 5’ directs the call to Police, who will assess the circumstances and decide on the most suitable response.
How do you contact police when it is not an emergency?
If the crime is not happening now, or the incident is not life threatening or there is little likelihood of the suspected offenders still being in the area, we ask you to consider phoning Policelink on 131 444 for non-urgent assistance.
Policelink 131 444 is an easy to remember number, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to contact police to report non-urgent incidents or make general enquiries. Professionally trained QPS Client Service Officers will respond to your call from the purpose built Policelink Contact Centre in south-east Queensland.
Taking place now?
Treat as an emergency – call Triple Zero (000) – ask for police/ambulance/fire
Treat as an emergency – call Triple Zero (000) – ask for police