Ensure you are aware of the general requirements for applying for a weapons licence.
You can now apply online for a Weapons Licence, submit all the documents and pay using credit/debit Mastercard or Visa.
You can still apply for a licence using a paper application form. You will need to submit it along with the required documentation and payment at a police station.
Below you will find the supporting documentation requirements and specific information for your genuine reason. Failure to submit all the required documentation will result in delays in processing your application.
Applying for a Security Licence (Guard) – Sole Provider (Category C, E and H)
This licence relates to persons working to provide armed security services to others as a sole trader and not employing others.
To apply for a Security Licence (Guard) - Sole Provider you will need to provide the following documents with your application:
- Proof of address
- Information that verifies there is a need for you to provide an armed service Please supply a list of your potential clients and letters on company letterhead which include the following information:
- The author’s name, address and contact number/s
- The nature of the services required by the business (e.g. cash escort)
- The frequency of the services required (e.g. twice per week); and
- The arrangement to be put in place should you be unavailable for work
- A Statement of Attainment as proof of your successful completion of the approved training course for Security Licence (Guard), issued within the last twelve months and detailing the date the certificate was awarded, the categories of weapons in which you have been deemed competent and the name of the registered training provider
- A copy of the registered business or company name providing details of the type of enterprise (eg. sole proprietor or partnership etc) including the extract detailing the office holders of the business/company
- A copy of the front and back of your current Security Officer’s Licence issued by the Office of Fair Trading under the Security Providers Act 1993 prior to 1 July 2008; or
- A copy of the front and back of your current Security Officer’s Licence endorsed with Cash in Transit issued by the Office of Fair trading after 1 July 2008
- Details of the address where the business will be conducted from
- Written approval from your local Council/Authority which gives direct approval for your intended business or states there is no objection to your intended business operating from the business operation address
- A description of facilities in place for the storage of weapons, including details of the safe/vault location, construction and weight
- Details of the procedure to be put in place should you be unable to meet the contractual duties due to illness or injury
- Written confirmation that these arrangements are agreed to by the contracted clients, on business letterhead; and
- Current passport quality photograph.
Note: This type of licence does not authorise the contracting or sub–contracting of duties with another Security Organisation or licensee.