​​​​​​​How do I apply for a Permit to Acquire?

The quickest way to apply for a Permit to Acquire is to use the online application form and pay by Visa or Mastercard (credit or debit).

Alternatively, you can download an application for a Permit to Acquire (Form 28) or by visiting your local Queensland police station.  Each weapon requires a separate application for a permit to acquire and fees apply for each application.

All paper-based applications for Permit to Acquire must be lodged at a Queensland police station. Applications that are submitted online can be processed faster as they are received at Weapons Licensing instantly.

At the time of application you will be required to pay the relevant fees.

It is recommended that you keep a copy of the application for your records.

If you lodge your application at a police station you will need to provide details of your current Weapons Act licence and show photographic identification (i.e. your Weapons Act licence or drivers licence. 

Note: For categories B, C, D, H or M weapons, you must state in writing the reason the firearm/weapon is needed and supply documentationto support the application. 

Note: No facsimile copies will be accepted or processed.

How much is a Permit to Acquire?

The Fees page has a list of current fees.

Can an applicant obtain a Permit to Acquire without showing their Weapons Licence?

If you apply with a paper based application at a Queensland police station, you will need to provide proof of identity to the satisfaction of the Authorised Officer.  If you already have a Queensland weapons licence or if you have received a case reference number from making application for permit to acquire, this information must be provided on the form.

If you are making application for permit to acquire at the same time you are making application for a weapons licence at a Queensland Police Station, then no details of licence number or case reference number need to be supplied.

If you apply online you are required to enter your weapons licence number or the reference number for your weapons licence application. If you applied online the reference number would have been supplied when you submitted and paid for your application.

Please note that If you have applied online, you will receive a reference number for each application.

If I have received my permit to acquire prior to receiving my Queensland firearms licence, can I acquire the firearm?

Whilst you have received your issued permit to acquire, you should be aware that it is an offence under section 25 of the Police Powers and Responsibilities Act 2000 to be in possession of a weapon if you are unable to produce, on demand, your photo licence authorising possession of the weapon. It is therefore recommended that you do not take possession of the weapon until you are in physical receipt of the licence.

If I have made an application for a Permit to Acquire since I acquired a weapons licence and have never used it, can I use the application at any stage?

Yes, an application for a Permit to Acquire never expires. However, once the Permit to Acquire is issued, it is only valid for a term of not more than 3 months as stated on the issued Permit to Acquire.

Can I put more than one (1) weapon on an application?

No. A separate Permit to Acquire application must be made for each weapon the licensee is intending to acquire and a fee payable for each one.

How can I forward a paper-based application for a Permit to Acquire to Weapons Licensing?

Although you must attend a police station to lodge and pay for your PTA application, if you wish, you can then mail it yourself to the Authorised Officer, Weapons Licensing, GPO Box 892, Brisbane, QLD 4001. Alternatively, the police station will forward the application and any documentation to Weapons Licensing.

How long will it take to get my Permit to Acquire?

PTA applications will be determined as soon as practicable after any mandatory waiting periods.  The time taken to determine applications for PTA is dependant on a number of factors.  This includes the number of new PTA applications received each week, the complexity of the applications and the completeness of the supporting information.

PTA applications received online will be able to be processed faster as they are received at Weapons Licensing instantly.

What is the waiting period for a Permit to Acquire?

The waiting period is twenty-eight (28) days after the day the applicant lodges the application for the Permit to Acquire unless the applicant already holds a firearm under a licence or the Authorised Officer is satisfied there are exceptional circumstances. 

Why do I have to wait 28 days for a Permit to Acquire?

Section 101 of the Weapons Regulation 2016 states the waiting period for decision on application for Permit to Acquire is 28 days after the day the applicant lodges the application for the permit to acquire the weapon. 

What is brokerage?

Once you have received your Permit to Acquire, you need to have it brokered through a licensed Queensland dealer. This can also be done through a police station if your place of residence is more than 100kms from a dealer. 

In this process the dealer/police station will check your weapon against the details issued on the Permit to Acquire and if any of the details are incorrect, the dealer/police officer modifies the permit to acquire and forwards it back to Weapons Licensing.  Once your brokerage is completed, the bottom half of your permit to acquire is returned to Weapons Licensing and the weapon is then registered onto your licence.

What do I do if I haven’t received my permit to acquire?

You may contact Weapons Licensing on 3015 7777 for confirmation that the Permit to Acquire is issued.  If you have been advised by Weapons Licensing that your Permit to Acquire has been issued, however you have not received it in the mail within a week or two, complete a Form 3 – Application for Replacement Permit to Acquire and lodge it at your local station.  There is currently no fee for this replacement Permit to Acquire application.

What if the weapon I am acquiring is unregistered?

A person cannot possess an unregistered firearm.  You will need to attend a police station or dealer and surrender the weapon until such time as an application for a Permit to Acquire has been submitted and issued.

How long is my Permit to Acquire valid once it is issued?

The Permit to Acquire is currently valid for six (6) months from the date of issue; this date is also written on the Permit to Acquire.

Can the Permit to Acquire be extended if I have not acquired the weapon and it is about to expire?

No. Section 45(1) of the Weapons Act 1990, states

“A permit to acquire remains in force for the term, not more than 3 months, stated on the permit.” 

Therefore, once the Permit to Acquire has expired you cannot acquire the weapon under the expired permit.

Registration of Firearms and Weapons

What is a registered firearm?

A firearm that is in the Commissioner’s Firearms Register and is recorded in the lawful possession of a current licence holder.

What is required for weapons lodged at a police station?

A police occurrence needs to be generated and requirements at the station are to be met (e.g. you may need to sign or complete a property receipt/relinquishing order).

Can I possess non-firing replica firearms?

If the non firing replica is a Category A, B, C or H, under current legislation there is no requirement for the registration of non-firing replica firearms in Queensland.

If the non-firing replica is a replica of a Category A,B,C or H weapons, under current legislation there is no requirement for the registration of the replica in Queensland. Please be aware that replica's are defined as weapons for the purpose of misuse provisions in Sections 57 & 58 of the Weapons Act.

Restrictions apply to other categories of non-firing replica's.  Inquiries should be made with Weapons Licensing prior to purchasing any non-firing replicas or attempting to import non-firing replica's.


Do I need to register permanently inoperable Category H (concealable firearm/handgun) weapons?

Yes. The Weapons Categories Regulation 1997 Part 7(1) Category H weapons states a firearm, including an air pistol and a blank-fire firearm, under 75cm in length, other than a power head, is a Category H weapon, regardless of whether it has been rendered permanently inoperable.

What is the difference between a replica firearm and a modern reproduction?

A replica firearm replicates an actual firearm but was designed never to be fired.  A modern reproduction is a working/firing model of an existing firearm.

How can you transfer firearms between licences

A licensee who has more than one (1) licence, and at least one (1) weapon endorsed on a licence, can apply to transfer the weapon to another licence. The licensee will need to complete a Form 4E - Application for Transfer of Weapons outlining details of the transfer of the weapon for consideration by an Authorised Officer.  If approved, a new weapons list will be forwarded outlining the change of ownership of the weapon between licences.  If the application is not approved a letter will be forwarded outlining reason/s for refusal.

If the weapon/s being transferred are temporarily inoperable modern handgun/s to a collector’s licence (weapons) a declaration signed by an approved historical society’s representative stating that the applicant has a prolonged and genuine interest in the study, preservation or collection of firearms and any other relevant particulars that an Authorised Officer requires.

In order to action transfer of temporarily inoperable modern handgun/s the appropriate condition must be endorsed on the licence.

Can I possess an Airsoft/BB gun?

No.  Airsoft weapons, under current legislation, irrespective of muzzle velocity, cannot be lawfully possessed in Queensland.  Unlawful possession of such weapons may result in prosecution for weapons related offences.

Importing Weapons

How do I import non firing replica firearms?

For import of all non-firing replica weapons an importation of weapons police confirmation - B709A, B or D – Import Permit is required by Australian Customs.

Australian Customs Service will confirm that the item is a non firing replica upon its arrival into Australia. 

For Category H non firing replicas, applicants must supply a statutory declaration stating that they will not dispose of the replica without first providing the details of the person to whom the non-firing replica is to be disposed to.

The new acquirer must apply in writing for permission to acquire the Category H non-firing replica from the Authorised Officer, Weapons Licensing.  The acquirer must also submit a statutory declaration as per above. 

For Category R non-firing replica weapons that are not toys, a collector’s licence is required.  A licensed Armourer is required to certify that the weapon is not operational using a Form 31 – Certificate of Firearm/Weapon being permanently inoperable.

Can I buy a sword from overseas and import it into Queensland? What do I need to do? Do I need a licence to keep the sword in Queensland?

Swords (katanas etc) are not classified as weapons in the Weapons Categories Regulation 1997. Therefore, there is no requirement to have swords registered to licence issued under the provisions of the Weapons Act 1990 (the Act).

However, persons who possess swords must be mindful of the misuse provisions (sections 57 through 59) of the Act as these provisions will apply to persons who possess swords in Queensland.

To lawfully import swords into Australia (Queensland) a Form B709B (Importation of Weapons – Police Certification) is not required, as swords are not classified as prohibited imports under the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956. Swords may be imported without the approval of the Queensland Police Service.

Deceased Estates

Is a Permit to Acquire (PTA) required when acquiring a weapon from a deceased estate?

Contact Weapons Licensing to discuss the required process for acquiring weapons from a deceased estate.