Section 97 of the Weapons Regulation 2016 specifies restrictions on the dispatching of weapons. It states that:
- a weapon may only be dispatched unloaded
- a person who is not a licensed Dealer or Armourer may only dispatch a weapon to a licensed Dealer or Armourer or a police officer acting in his or her official capacity
- if a person is not a licensed Dealer, a weapon may only be dispatched by registered post
- if a person is a licensed Dealer, a weapon may be dispatched by registered post or by using a person to whom section 2(1)(l)(i) of the Weapons Act 1990 applies; and
- a weapon must be inside a sturdy, securely closed container that must not suggest a weapon is inside.
Refer to section 96 of the Weapons Regulation 2016 for further information and examples of how a container or something on or attached to it may indicate a weapon is inside.