Weapons are classified into a number of categories. The licence type you have and your genuine reason determine the categories of weapons you are able to acquire.
This section provides information on:
- What a weapon is and how to identify a weapon
- The categories of weapons with an explanation of which weapons fall under which category
- Regulations on specific weapons - crossbows, airsoft firearms (BB guns) and replica weapons
- Definitions and regulations for antique weapons
- Requirements for modifying weapons to make them temporarily or permanently inoperable
The Acquiring & Disposing Weapons section provides further information about the process for purchasing or otherwise taking possession of a weapon.
Factsheets are available providing more details on the legislation and requirements relating to Category M Bladed Weapons, Laser pointers, Detachable magazines for Category B Rifles and permanently deactivated Public monuments.